Sunday 6 October 2019

Feedback Thoughts

Article 1: Why It's So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback

This article describes the physical and mental impact of receiving negative feedback, describes the biological reasons, and how we can trick ourselves and change how we react to it.

"We tense up, our breathing gets shallower and our ego becomes so threatened it begins to limit the information that is let into our brains" 
- Adam Grant

They explain that humans have evolved to become unable to actually deliver negative feedback themselves, in order to train us to be better in work and life amongst other humans. 
They firstly advise to have faith that the other person means well, and isn't trying to offend or upset anyone. To trust they have the best intentions at heart. I agree that false praise grows people into being too superficial for their own good. 
In this article, we are told that any sort of feedback will result in self-improvement, which is a very positive way to see things, whether it feels good or not. 

Some examples of feedback I received when I was younger, that helped me grow into the person I am today mainly came from my mother and father, showing me how to do tasks and chores, giving me tips to improve, essential life hacks, just the typical stuff. 
It didn't really feel like negative feedback, as I guess you have a sort of automatic appreciation for your parents because you know they just want whats best for you. 
source: Modern Family


The pain of rejection can be paralysing. I can relate to this pain from being fired from jobs, breakups and makeups and re breakups, and, as superficial as it sounds, not getting a text back after reaching out. I feel like we all understand this pain in some way or another. 
But why do we feel this so intensely? Brain scans have actually shown that rejection lights up the same parts of the brain that show up for physical pain. I wasn't even surprised when I read this, it kind of just- made sense. 
Rejection destabilises our human need to belong. However, we actually do this to ourselves. 
During these times, we just sit and feel sorry for ourselves, whether we admit that or not. We allow ourselves to self-hate, thus harming us further. 
A tip they advised was to think with logic in order to develop a zero tolerance for rejection. 
Don't think about what you did wrong, think about what you could have done differently.
Stay connected with people who make you feel good about yourself.
Building all of this up will help you recover sooner and sooner from every rejection as you move forward with your life. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Week Comments and Feedback

I haven't received that much feedback since I have not been consistently uploading blogs (I'm sorry!) However, what I have gotten ...